Friday, April 3, 2020

Critical Reflection


Module learning
When I learnt I had to take this module, I thought to myself that this module would be, for a lack of better words, a waste of my time. The reason I had this mindset was that I had thought engineers need not have to express themselves to other people. This mindset most definitely changed after the first class with Professor Blackstone, where I have learnt first-hand that this module would be actually beneficial to me. From in-class activities to the assignments given, I feel that my use of English has greatly improved. From not even knowing what APA referencing meant at the start to properly use it to cite my sources during my summary writing. All the skills I have learnt in this module would greatly help me with future projects and even when I am in the workforce. This module also helped with improving my presentation skills, in the previous semester when I had to give a presentation, I was speaking too quickly and thus my audience did not understand me. With the methods that were taught to me, I learnt to manage my pace and believed that I was able to present myself in front of the class at my best. The time I spent on this module and the experience I have received will carry me into the future confidently. As such, I believe I have accomplished the goals that I had set for myself, refining my use of English and to give a proper presentation in front of people. 

Project learning 
For our research project, our main struggle was to find sources that helped support our research topic. This was because our project was quite specific and we had to filter out the sources that were not related to our topic. We either had to make do with what sources we found or to keep on finding. Luckily, we were taught to use other ways of searching for articles other than Google, like OneSearch and GoogleScholar. Thus we managed to gather our sources together and put up a decent project plan in the end. Receiving peer feedback was a new experience for me as I had only been receiving feedback from my teachers until now. Seeing the comments my peers have for me really made me understand how I am seen in their eyes. It lets me reflect on myself differently and learn from my peers.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much, Sande, for this detailed critical reflection. You provide clear supporting info as you review your work during the term, especially in terms of your developing presentation skills and your appreciation of teamwork and the research process.

    It's appropriate that you mention oral presenting, especially since that was an area you had set as a goal for improvement and where your development was clear. The fact that you gave a strong final presentation shows how far you took your development.

    I'm also impressed by the learning you mention in terms of peer feedback. Of course, that needs to be in additon to intructor feedback, which your team sought actively. I now look forward to reading the final report.

    All in all, this post reflects well on your engagement in the module throughout the term. Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete